Thursday, February 07, 2008

Too Much TV

What's a Pissed Off Mom to do, anyway?

I've been letting the SweetBabyGirl watch waaaay too much TV because I just haven't had the energy to do much else. And, as the link above would indicate, the stuff on PBS for kids is pretty darn educational. And yet, there's some major drawbacks:

1. The theme music for Caillou is one of the worst ear-worm melodies ever. It. Won't. Stop.

2. While Super Why does a pretty good job as a reading tutorial, it's excruciatingly dull for adults. And it inspires SBG to run around the house with a wand pretending to be a magic princess. On the plus side, she's been consistent about pronouncing Princess Presto as Princess Prestone (who apparently has Antifreeze Power in addition to Spelling Power).

3. SBG really really wants me to stay with her while she watches. Which the good folks at PBSparents.org recommend, too, so that we can talk about the lessons that she's learning. Bringing us to moments like Mommy, why do you have a pillow over your head?

4. I thought there'd be some respite from adding Pingu to the mix (courtesy of PBS Sprout, the on-demand kid channel) but instead it's inspired the child to add an annoying MOO MOO to her impressive array of irritating verbal tics. She's imitating the penguins' pissed-off call, which is really more of a skraaak skraaaak than a moo. At least the claymation is interesting, plus I've been learning to speak penguin.

5. Compared to all these other shows, Curious George is quality television. If only they'd show some new episodes, I think I might actually find the will to live.

No, no, I haven't really lost the will to live. I mostly just want to wait until the nasty pollen season is over and I can go outside again. Saturday, after days of howling wind that blew the pollen into every crevice of this house, I had a migraine that didn't abate for a full day, with the usual photophobia and vomiting. I still have almost daily headaches but as long as I'm not nauseated I can soldier on, timing the pain meds for when I'm not driving. The nausea is the worst since I can't take anti-nausea meds if I'm going to drive--I'm fairly sure I'd totally forget to, like, hit the brakes to stop, assuming I was awake to notice.

But being stuck indoors (or risking misery if we spend much time outside) and feeling crummy has been a drag and I'm ready to send her to a 5-day-a-week preschool so she can watch less TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home