Monday, July 16, 2007

What goes around...

I've just figured out something downright cosmic. Behold:

This happened a few years ago: I was at Whole Foods, getting something out of the freezer case, and a mom with her toddler in the cart passed behind me. The boy was making mouth noises, a steady pflghgt, pflghgt, pflghgt, dopplering by behind me. I smiled and probably even chuckled a little. I turned in time to see the mom smile wearily and say, you're funny, you know that? to her kid.

Fast forward to today: I'm at HEB with SweetBabyGirl in the cart. We're in the organic food section (yes, our HEB segregates organic food from the rest of the food, the inorganic food, I guess). She's been peppering me with an unending stream of questions: What's that? What's tea tree oil for? Do we drink it? Why not? Why do you use it in the sauna? In the water that you throw on the rocks? Why? What's that? What's yookulippus? Is that for the sauna?

And on and on and on. I heard something and the guy stocking the shelves was smiling benignly and chuckling a little. And I smiled wearily and said, you're funny, you know that? to my kid. But what I thought was, you know, buddy, someday you're going to have a kid just like mine.

After I got home and was fixing dinner, I remembered that other mom at the store and wondered: did she have the same thought about me? If so, fair enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home