Friday, December 15, 2006

You Know You're A Mom When...

Today I had one of those moments where you know you've become a wholly different person:

I'm standing in the kitchen (while Sweet Baby Girl watches Clifford upstairs) reading the paper and hear loud chicken noises outside. I finish reading Doonesbury, start to fold up the paper and then think, hm, that's not right, so I walk out the back door and what do I see?

A hawk is perched on the fence railing, right next to the chicken coop. Hawks are big freakin' birds, plus they have that crazy-eyes raptor face with the hooked beak and all. So, what did I do?

I put my fists on my hips and said "Oh, I don't THINK so. Get outta there!" So it flew away.

And then I see that Stanley, the rooster, is as far away from the hawk as possible while still in the coop, while the hens are clustered in the middle looking dumb. And Stanley's doing his job, namely alerting me to danger by squawking his head off. Good job, Stanley.

Then I thought, hm, "I don't THINK so?" I scared a hawk away from my chickens by using the Mom Voice?

Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home