Monday, October 23, 2006

Weird Watch

Here in Austin, there's a bumper sticker and all-around motto: Keep Austin Weird. Personally, I'm not fond of the slogan because it's not really weird if you have to try, it's just fake-weird. I was very pleased to spot a bumper sticker that said "Being Weird Is Not Enough," which captures my sense that it takes more than eccentricity to make a city liveable.

Nevertheless, I'm proud that this city of mine is deeply weird and I plan to occasionally salute the weirdness here in this little forum.

Last week's Weird Watch Spotting:
Scene: Bus stop on S. Lamar Blvd.
Me: Driving by.
The Weird: A thirtyish black dude, looks like Yaphet Kotto's younger brother. Wearing ordinary clothes: jacket, pants, button-front shirt. And an auburn pageboy wig, slightly longer than shoulder-length. No makeup or anything else remotely tranny, just the wig. And he's glaring, too, in a classic what-you-lookin-at way.

And how do I know it's a wig? Because it's really really fake-looking, plus it's too small for his head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home