Tuesday, February 14, 2006

More Mom Reading

In peparation for the move (argh) we've packed up all the stray books around the house, so I'm going to have to just remember what I read...

One of the essays was by Anne Lamott and said, and I paraphrase here, that even the most well-intentioned, reasonable parents occasionally lose their shit completely and scream at their kids. I had mixed feelings, of course: part of me said, I'd never do that while the other part said, yo, self, you already have. Her point was that nobody can get under your skin like your kids because they know exactly how to yank your chain. [And I'm thinking, how is it possible that I can hold such completely opposing ideas at the same time? Oh, right, denial. Mmm, sweet sweet denial. A parent's best friend.]

Another essay bugged me more: it's the title essay from Mother Shock: Loving Every [Other] Minute of It and the gist was, we mothers have to just come right out and admit that we don't actually enjoy being a mom all the time, some parts are a drag and we just have to acknowledge that, blah blah blah. And I'm thinking, say WHAT? On what PLANET are moms pretending that it's fun all the time? And what DRUGS are they on, anyway? [And can I get some? Wait, nevermind. No, tell me...oh, no, don't.] And, after some reflection, I'm thinking: yay, somebody whose denial is worse than mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home